Dooming Yourself From Day One

I have a friend who decided to start a small press (Small Tomatoes Press) to print her books and a few others authors’ works. She reads this blog, and she asked me for advice on how to make it successful. Mind you, this was after she set up her business, ran to a high-cost POD distributor, and set up her Amazon, blog, and all those wonderful things that people call “marketing.”

I like her. I wanted to help her. I want her to be successful. If she’d asked me a month or two before that, I might have been able to help her. If I’d had a hand in catalyzing the business concept before it was all set in stone, maybe, just maybe, I might have had some miracle to increase her sales. However, the sad, cold reality is that her ship was scuttled as soon as she launched it.

Self-publishing in any industry (including tabletop games) is just a thin green line from vanity publishing. If you publish, they will not come. The real mistake here, however, is not the type of publishing venture she entered; it’s that she dived into it with very little research or consulting. She had it all set up before she even called me.

She’s not alone; actual, real companies do this all the time. Mongoose Games spent tens of thousands of dollars on a POD setup, only to realize it didn’t work. In the process of trying to fix it themselves, the managed to break it so that an actual expert couldn’t fix it without spending a lot more money*. Wizards of the Coast pushed hundreds of thousands of dollars into a virtual tabletop for Fourth Edition that never materialized (I still love the ad in the back of my original printing PHB).   As I write this, Paizo is sinking time and energy into a Pathfinder MMO that reeks of vaporware.

It’s one of the largest mistakes you can make in business, and even the wisest aren’t immune; if Lisa Fucking Stevens can be convinced, anyone can.

So let’s be clear: don’t doom yourself. Don’t dive in. Do the research, do the work, and do it right. Stop writing your game; start planning your business.

*I would link a source, but they have apparently taken down that State of the Mongoose. So much for their whole “transparency” bit.

3 thoughts on “Dooming Yourself From Day One

  1. Jessica S says:

    Great post. I think people wanting to start a small business could learn a lot from carpenters: “Measure twice. Cut once.”

    Research, research some more, set out a plan, double check your research, and adapt your plan to any corrections one more time, run it by someone who’s been there (all that research should have revealed a mentor somewhere along the way), and THEN make actions towards starting.

    Again–great post! :)

  2. Eric Wilde says:

    I’ve got a 5 minute pitch to run by you if you’re interested. Right now I’m not terribly serious about starting up a business; but, it was fun to put the pitch together. Send me an email and we can hook up in a G+ Hangout.

    Its essentially about cornering a niche distribution channel: online, Google+ Hangout games. I’ve got some prototype sandbox game support applications already written; but, have put the (for fun) project on hold for the last two months due to my day job.

  3. Beth says:

    Hmmm. Fair enough, I did dive into marketing efforts with NO research, but we actually went with the top-reviewed POD publisher that is actually pretty cheap and researched the viability of the ebook market quite a bit. So, I think your premise — it’s solid, but your example(s?) needs tweaking.

    STP marched in with good writing, decent formating, and chose the companies that seemed to have the widest distro network. Unfortunately, no one at our “table” knew anything about marketing — we should have done a better job of researching that aspect. And it actually seems like your other examples are indicitive of the same thing: the company had done 75% of the research and didn’t realize that the other 25% was as important as it came to be.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 60 other followers

%d bloggers like this: